First Words

I wish I kept track of the girls first words. I'm pretty sure 'dada' was their first word but I don't even remember when that was. 8 months? 10 months? Who can remember. They pick up words and phrases here and there and Violet has started singing. She sings Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, Baa Baa Black Sheep, the ABCs (I know those are all the same tune, but I can tell the difference, k?), Head, Shoulders, Knees & Toes and The Wheels on the Bus. 

When I say "sings" I mean she vaguely vocalizes, but I can tell what she's singing because she has key words here and there and you can actually discern the tune, which I think is pretty impressive at less than two years old. Twinkle Twinkle Little Star is probably my favorite because it goes something like "winkle winkle li--- sta--- ha ah wah--- ah oo ah" It's adorable. Also, wheels on the bus is adorable because she does all the motions. All I have to say is "wheels!" and they both start rolling their hands around each other in circles ready to sing the song. Zara doesn't sing as much, but she's a sucker for any song with motions. I caught her laying on the floor in the family room today, toys scattered on every side, intently concentrating on her hands trying to get them to make the Itsy Bitsy Spider motion today. 

Zara is starting to really pick up simple phrases. She says 'thank you' (tattoo), 'here you go' (he yoo oh), and whatever else I say when I don't think she's listening, 'go away' being a prime example. (I was talking to Maisy because she was all up in my business, but then Zara told everyone to go away the rest of the day. Stellar.) Violet will randomly surprise me with words I didn't know she had in her, but for the most part she lets her sister do all the talking. She's happy to sing and babble all day long. She says 'dig-a-dig-a-dig-a' all the time. No idea what she's trying to say, but it's cute.

They say 'cracker', 'my milk', 'mine', 'more', 'up', 'down', 'please', 'thank you', 'help', 'mommy', 'dada', 'dog', 'duck', and a plethora of animal sounds. For a minute there all animals said 'moo', but I think we've gotten that straightened out for the most part. 

I wonder what words they'll say next.



Comments